-Caveat Lector-

----- Original Message -----
From: Das GOAT <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> "According to the sources, the directive was approved by the Politburo
> on July 2, 1992 -- a year into U.S. President Bill Clinton's first
> term ..."
>
> China's leaders ordered stepped-up espionage in 1992

Bill Clinton was NOT president in 1992.  This report is just wrong.

Clinton was elected [but not by me - I voted for Perot] in November
1992 and took office in January 1993.  George Bush, the former CIA
director, was US president in July 1992, and was riding high in the
polls.  If the Chinese *did* step-up their espionage efforts in mid-
1992, they would have anticipated dealing with a Bush administration.

The Reagan-Bush administrations were, judged by the number of suc-
cessful prosecutions, the most corrupt in US history, so the Chinese
would have expected to find it easy to grease palms for information.

Did the Chinese really steal significant nuclear secrets?  If so,
what are appropriate responses?  Nuke China?  Execute all Chinese
nationals in the US, mainland and Taiwanese alike?  Prosecute all
the relevant officials in the Clinton, Bush and Reagan gov'ts?  Oh
that's right, most of the latter have already been prosecuted for
corruption...  Burn down Washington DC?  Sew the Ellipse with salt?

   Ric "kill'em all, let Osiris sort'em out" Carter

* no nuclear warheads were lost during production of this message *