-Caveat Lector-

Let me address some of your false conclusions as follows nurev:  (and let's
dispense with the puerile value judgements, "You get a little self serving
here don't you buddy?" )

[Without competition to balance greed, the system is sold under false
pretenses.]

the system is sold under false pretenses?  Utter nonsense! competition in no
way balances greed, indeed competition is the result of greed and is its
active force in commerce.

[Adam Smith who made the case that with  competition the system benefits
all, and, without competition we are  simply destined for some form of
slavery. Smith made clear that without competition the system is merely an
oinkfest for oinkers and wanabe oinkers. He didn't much like businessmen. He
saw them as greedy, conspiratorial, and obsessed with money. Some things
never change.]

Adam Smith, that racist communist, read Anton Chaitkins Treason in
America ---- from Aaron Burr to Averall Harriman, for a detail treatment on
the heretical pronouncement this fool made and how his writings have became
a tool to propagandize the opposite of what he seems to stand for, the
statement above is a non-sequiter, that doesn't address the what the
relationship between competition and business.     As for businessman being
greedy, conspiratorial, and obsessed with money, indeed some are, but as
with most generalized statements it is patently wrong.  There has always
been that breed of merchantislist (which is who Adam Smith was addressing
here who sought to out right monopolies everything.)

[No??? Why no? Does this make capitalism good?]

There needs to be a distinction between an aspect or attribute of capitalism
and its core tenets.
Monopolies are not capitalism but are a feature of it in the global economy,
there are private as well as governmental monopolies.   The most obvious and
glaring example of  monopolist action which stifles innovation is the
electric utility industry which is on the verge of technological
obsolescence, which is raking up enormous profits while actively suppressing
innovation.    go figure.

[ Wrong. Sheer greed has ALWAYS been the driver of capitalism.]
bullocks, bullshit, balderdash, complete sheer and utter crap.
Greed is not the driver of capitalism, you would impute that wealth
formation is an evil activity, it is only is when the rights of others are
violated in its acquisition.    Wealth is good and desirable.   However most
people including yourself it seems confuse wealth with mal intent.
Obviously, wealth has been use to cartelize the world economy, it has been
use to prohibit the free exchange of ideas to other nations, it has been use
to subjugate and use the common and natural resource for a foreign gain. Is
wealth or its formation a bad thing.   I say no a thousand times.
Remember it is the love of money, and not money itself which is the root of
all evil.

[That's right. Pet rocks, hair in a can, minimum wages, externalization of
costs, and a petroleum based automotive industry 100 years old which will
not change as long as capitalists have the oligopoly in the oil industry.
That's innovation baby. What % of innovations are really advances for
humanity? I don't know. Vare to guess?]

The fact that we can communicate our ideas is an advance.     Pet rocks,
hair in a can? Who gives a fuck? (you're more intelligent than that: aren't
you).    minimum wages, yadda, yadda yadda,  features of some capitalist,
not capitalism.      Let me clear the cobwebs from your understanding.   The
computer industry alone, is responsible for a great deal of innovation and
material benefit.    % wise, who knows, why ask a question you can't
yourself quantify, unless you are speaking rhetorically?

[ I am assuming here that folks agree that monopoly is a baaad thing.]
Absolutely categorically agree with you.

[What bullshit! People don't eat information. You get a little self-serving
here don't you buddy? The internet has promise in several areas, none of
which are necessary for sustaining life.]

Did I say people eat information?   What a fantastic leap in logic you've
accomplished.  I sorry you can't understand what is patently understandable.
People thrive on information, data and intelligence, yes it is necessary to
life, schools, training institutes and news agencies, the government
(unfortunately the largest producer of information), businesses; media,
entertainment all feed an open mind.  It is the driver for wealth
acquisition.     If I know something then I am in a position to act on it.
This fact was known a long time ago.   Remember man shall not live by bread
alone but every word that proceedith out of the mouth of God.

Jeffrey C Hearon
Founder & CEO
SCIO-LTD
http://www.scio-ltd.net