-Caveat Lector-

----- Original Message -----
From: Das GOAT <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> >Ah, now we get to the heart of the matter: politics is corrupting.
> >But politics is also "the art of the achievable".  Thus, to achieve
> >anything, one must be corrupted.  Thus, the pure at heart can't
> >achieve anything, are impotent.  So one has a choice: remain pure,
> >stick to ideals, remain uncorrupted -- and powerless.  Or, make
> >compromises, take filthy coin, feed at the Devil's tit -- and
> >accomplish something.  What's your preference?
>
> What has "politics" ever accomplished?
> (For anyone other than "politicians" and the rich who buy and
> sell 'em, I mean.)

Physical infrastructure: US interstate highway system; TVA and
Bonneville power systems; every gov't construction project, which
fatten politicos & contractors as well as providing artifacts of
some use to the taxpaying public.

Other systems: public primary/secondary schools and universities;
Social Security / Medicare / public-health systems; Marshall Plan;
GI Bill [which funded education and home ownership for millions of
Americans]; military/space programs [which funded microelectronics
development and the internet we're chattering on now]; FDA [which
greatly reduced the proliferation of rotten foods and adulterated
drugs that swamped the US a century ago].

Yup, 'politics' sucks.  But when you have a few hundred million
people divided into some millions of public and private groups,
all pushing their own interests, you need *some* mechanism for
balancing those interests.  Here, we elect and bribe advocates;
it's messy, but it generally works.  Still, imperial China had
a good control system: for a gov't officer to rise in rank, he
had to defame and ruin his superior, to be promoted to his office.
This tended to weed-out the bureaucrats who weren't smart enough
to cover up adequately.