-Caveat Lector-

SkeptiNews 990923c - - - - - - - - - - - All The News That's Fit To Question

: Passages starting with ':' are editorial comments to provoke discussion.
: Nothing contained herein is ever endorsed for truth, accuracy or meaning.
: No subliminal messages were spread to produce (Buy Pepsi) this bulletin.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Mars probe feared destroyed. (BBC) Nasa's latest probe to Mars is almost
  certainly lost. JPL controllers say the $125m spacecraft came too close to
  the planet when it tried to manoeuvre into orbit & was probably destroyed.
  http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_455000/455807.stm

# What loss of Mars Climate Orbiter means. (BBC) Many scientists & engineers
  face its loss with stoic resignation. Red Planet claims another victim.
  http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_455000/455617.stm

: Who is preventing us from taking a really close look at Mars? What do they
have to hide? What alien civilizations have hidden bases on Mars? Reptoids?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# SUBLIMINAL MESSAGES HAVE SUBTLE POWER. We've all heard the old story,
  thoroughly debunked, about subliminal advertising making people buy Coke
  and popcorn at the movies. Recent research has revealed, however, that
  subliminal messages can have some subtle impact on our attitudes and
  behavior. http://healthcentral.com/drdean/DeanFullTextTopics.cfm?ID=17412

: Do subliminal messages reprogram you, control your thoughts/behaviors, set
you on a self-destructive path? What's your favorite subliminal message? Do
you create subliminal messages? Where do you promulgate them? Do they work?

@ WHY DO I TALK IN MY SLEEP? We can't pinpoint a cause, but anxiety is a
  suspect. http://healthcentral.com/drdean/DeanFullTextTopics.cfm?ID=17392
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# W97M_SUPPL/TROJ_SUPPL - 163 hours until destructive payload activates.
  This new virus is distributed via e-mail in an empty Word 97 document.
  Upon opening the SUPPL.DOC file, W97M_SUPPL activates and copies itself
  to the Windows directory (as ANTHRAX.INI). Once an infected system is
  rebooted, TROJ_SUPPL spreads itself by attaching the SUPPL.DOC file to
  every outgoing message. After a system has been infected for 163 hours,
  TROJ_SUPPL runs its destructive payload, which tries to open all files
  with the DOC, XLS, TXT, RTF, DBF, ZIP, ARJ and RAR extensions and truncate
  them. http://trend.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=W97M_SUPPL

: Are you protected, infected, fucked? Have your files been destroyed yet?
Have you (un)wittingly spread this virus or others? Is virus-spreading fun?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# WOULDN'T YOU LIKE TO HAVE GERM-FREE FOOD? If you don't think we need
  irradiation to make our food supply safer, then read this account of
  salmonella infection from fresh, uncooked tomatoes. Enough to gag a
  maggot: http://healthcentral.com/drdean/DeanFullTextTopics.cfm?ID=17414
@ TO IRRADIATE OR NOT TO IRRADIATE ... Join the discussion at:
http://healthcentral.com/discussions/Thread.cfm?CFApp=2&Thread_ID=2519&mc=5

: If irradiating food will kill microbes, will irradiating computers destroy
virus and worm infections? Would'ya eat an irradiated computer? Is it tasty?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

@ GONZO JOURNALISTS. Finally, a place where incessant chatter about the
  latest Kennedy to die is unwelcome. "Real" journalists laugh in the
  face of George magazine while making wisecracks about what to do to
  the morons who post in its favor. Topics such as free speech on the
  Internet and the identification of high-profile plagiarizers keep the
  group going at a slow but steady pace. News:alt.journalism.gonzo

: How much real journalism exists in the world? How many real reports are
published/broadcast? How much journalism is disinformation? Who control the
creation/spread of media disinfo? Do you manipulate news? Are you Reptoid?

@ Pat Buchanan is an earnest isolationist, arguing that the US ought to
  have stayed out of WWI and shouldn't have fought Hitler in Europe. And
  then there are all those Jews... http://weeklystandard.com/bob_9_27.html
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# 'URINE LUCK' - ARE DRUG TESTERS STYMIED? "Urine Luck" is just the latest
  product to appear on the Internet that claims to help you pass a urine
  drug test. Meanwhile, drug testing labs are coming up with ways to detect
  products that taint results - and developing more invasive and sensitive
  tests. http://healthcentral.com/drdean/DeanFullTextTopics.cfm?ID=17415

: Can you beat drug tests? Do you need to? Do your test-beating strategies
mask any ailments you may suffer from? Are drug tests worth dying for? Why?

# SHOCKER!: MOST PEOPLE WHO CALL IN SICK REALLY AREN'T!
  http://www.latimes.com/HOME/BUSINESS/t000085376.html
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# "Gospel And Guns" group spreads message at schools. Members of the Mercy
  Seat Christian Church are handing out pro-gun fliers in the shape of
  bullets to teens at metro Milwaukee schools. "We are going out to high
  schools to see hearts changed, to share the gospel of Jesus Christ and
  to inform students of the true intent of the Second Amendment," says the
  group's leader. http://www.jsonline.com/news/wauk/sep99/guns23092299.asp

: Does your belief system cherish weapons as icons? What's your most sacred
weapon? Would you rather Kill for Krist, Kali, Khentamenthes, Kurozumi, Kuk,
Kan, Keraunos, Khons, Kartir, Khepri, Kango, Kisin, Khnum, Kukulkan, or me?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# IMPERSONATOR PREACHES IN THE CHURCH OF ELVIS. Rev. David Castleberry loves
  shaking his hips at the altar while he does his Elvis thing. He's credited
  for bringing "bikers, doubters, and heavy drinkers" to church, reports the
  Wichita Eagle. Getting his act together wasn't easy, the minister says. "I
  studied 400 hours of video on Elvis' moves and singing style."
http://www.wichitaeagle.com/news/local/community/neighbors/docs/castleberry0
923_txt.htm

: Do you like religious music? Are musicians deities? I play various lutes -
will you worship me? Will you pierce yourself at my request, give me money/
sex/drugs/jewelry/food, sniff my farts, listen to me blather on? What else?

@ IF I PIERCE MY NIPPLE NOW, CAN I BREASTFEED LATER? Sure, why not?
  http://www.healthcentral.com/drdean/DeanFullTextTopics.cfm?ID=17390
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

  "I saw something like that. I saw an 'object' way way in the distance flip
   flopping (just like Clinton) moving very rapidly west in quick, sporadic,
   ups and downs. I looked at it as it skimmed across the sky tangentially
   from me. Being a windy day 40mph gusts, I said it could just be something
  'blowing in the wind'. I kept an eye on it and it passed in front, and
   behind, objects that were close to me, like across the street. Seems a
   page from newspaper was airborne a short distance away, at about roof top
   level. But when it was against the open sky it was way, way, away. The
   damn mainstream media." --Twonky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

* http://skepticon.da.ru (updated) * ICQ# 19633976 * FAX: 603-415-3736
* email INFO or SUBSCRIBE SKEPTICHAT to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
* (sorry, I can't answer all email - but thanks for your feedback)
* SkeptiChat/SkeptiNews archives: http://skeptifiles.da.ru (belated)
* Fringe * Science * Faith * Sex/Drugs * UFO/PSI/Y2K * Conspiracy *