SkeptiNews 000419c - - - - - - - - - - - All The News That's Fit To Question

* Yesterday's bulletins: http://web.pitas.com/skeptinews/18_04_2000.html
* Passages starting with ':' are editorial comments to provoke discussion.
* PLEASE do NOT include the ENTIRE bulletin when you reply; cut/paste, eh?
* Site of latest notices, excuses, news/views: http://skeptilog.pitas.com
* Few blunders are made during the production of these bulletins. Very few.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

@ Beware This Alien: http://www.nbarker.demon.co.uk/demon.jpg
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

* Apology - I inadvertently neglected to include a contributor's questions
* along with the piece he sent, used in a earlier bulletin. Here they are:

# Privacy-loving space aliens smack down on SETI - pulsating blue sky-beam
  destroys radio-telescope: http://www.theregister.co.uk/000419-000004.html

; Do your alien race hate SETI eavesdroping, do it interfere with Porn TV/
  *Net reception, do it causes headaches/psicosis/implant misfiring,  what´s
  your leaders next target, Hubble/Arecibo/Mauna Kea, is SETI a coverup for
  interestellar Echelon ?? Did they hear you saying President ,  Allah( Or
  alien equivalent), when you were calling your Momma? Does your alien race
  contacted V***GER (remember trekkie fans?) & it says "destroy, kill, kick,
  bring seti down, nuke earth with your blue beams "), or it was a test fire
  of "ION CANNON" from Command & Conquer, or maybe it was Goldeneye.
  From: "Gerardo E. Arceri" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

@ A new kind of object: From Rorschach to Relationship. A new kind of
  computational object is provoking striking new changes in the narrative
  of human development, especially in the way people think about life,
  and about what kind of relationships it is appropriate to have with
  a machine. http://www.edge.org/3rd_culture/story/101.html

$ Evil. Handcrafted with love: http://www.tccorp.com/outsider/doll.html
# Blair and Pikachu: http://www.drinkfromthefurrycup.com/news/51.shtml
@ Fuzzy Logic: http://www.brunching.com/features/feature-fuzzylogic.html
# Ananova speaks - cyberrubbish. More long-winded than a govt minister.
  And no tits: http://www.theregister.co.uk/000419-000008.html

: Do you have meaningful relationships with humans/ETs/machines/vegetables/
spirits/me? What relationships are appropriate? What relationships can you
just barely tolerate? Do mind-control rays broaden your tolerance? When??
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Catholics: Jesus-starring PETA billboard is sacreligious. The animal-lov-
  ing group's billboard features a Christ-like figure. "I said, 'Thou shalt
  not kill,'" sez the ad, obviously referring to animal butchery. A Catholic
  Action League official calls the billboard a "tawdry shock tactic," and
  adds: "They're using Jesus as a vehicle for advertising. It's offensive,
  inappropriate and in poor taste." [via http://www.obscurestore.com/]
  http://www.bostonherald.com/news/local_regional/peta04172000.htm

# Jesus video distribution offends Florida Jews - pisses me off too:
  www.sun-sentinel.com/news/daily/detail/0,1136,30000000000116540,00.html
# EXTREMIST ISLAMIC REGIME IMPOVERISHES WOMEN IN AFGHANISTAN- Prohibits Them
  Working: http://www.zenit.org/english/archive/0004/ZE000417.html#item3
@ Mosque Clock - not to be missed: http://www.mosqueclock.com/hard_sell.htm

: D'ya market your religious/political/economic/artistic beliefs? D'ya have
trademarked icons? Are you angered/wrathful/litigious when someone from ano-
ther belief system appropriates your icons? Do you invoke divine punishment?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# RANDI BEGS BENNETH, "KILL ME WITH YOUR VOODOO" - Randi writes, 'I'm told
  that one of the nut cases out there has declared that "negative vibes" can
  be sent out against individuals. You know, voodoo, bad thoughts, curses,
  the whole spectrum.  Okay, let's do a test.  I invite ALL the bad guys out
  there to curse me,point-the-bone at me,send me "bad cess," and in general
  wish me real bad stuff. Try to get me dead by thinking me dead, by putting
  out every evil wish you can summon up, and let's see what happens.'
  http://x40.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=585583909&CONTEXT=953719051.752418831

# Parents try psychic in search. HAYDEN, Colo. The parents of Marie Blee
  are turning to a psychic to help find the body of the 15-year-old girl
  who disappeared more than 20 years ago. Blee, a Hayden resident, vanished
  Nov. 21, 1979, after going to a party in nearby Craig. Rumors about her
  disappearance have swept small towns in northwestern Colorado for two
  decades. http://insidedenver.com/news/0418regio.shtml

: Have you had any notable positive/negative/indeterminate interactions with
psychics/wizards/spoonbenders lately? Are people claiming paranormal powers
cruel/craven/crazy by nature/nurture? Is death too important for psychics??
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Planet Earth gets a makeover. (BBC) Nasa has created a stunning composite
  image of the Earth using data from three different satellite instruments.
  Zowie. http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_719000/719244.stm

# Also - Eye over the Amazon: http://www.newshub.com/cgibin/rd.cgi?9703695
# Eyeing the London Eye from space: http://newshub.com/cgibin/rd.cgi?9703694
# Sat snaps a mighty sandstorm: http://www.newshub.com/cgibin/rd.cgi?9703693
# Launching New Weather Sat: http://www.newshub.com/cgibin/rd.cgi?9703859

: When you're orbiting Earth, d'ya prefer to look up/down/sideways/inwards?
How much Earth surveillance is enough? Is Earth-watching really just navel-
gazing? D'ya prefer to look directly into the Sun, where the power is? How?

@ Giza - The Truth: http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~lawtoni/
# Long way to go in Stonehenge haul - recreating monument's construction:
  http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/wales/newsid_707000/707228.stm
@ Complete Stonehenge: http://www.amherst.edu/~ermace/sth/sth.html
@ The Millennium Stone: http://www.bluestone.org.uk/
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Understanding The Last Evolutionary Stages Of Low-Mass Stars. When low-
  mass stars called red supergiants die, they fade away on a wimpy wind – or
  so scientists have thought. New research, just published, suggests that
  the exact opposite may be true. These stars, in fact, may die with a bang
  and not with a whimper. http://www.newshub.com/cgibin/rd.cgi?9703862

# April's Lyrid Meteor Shower (NASA) The oldest known meteor shower peaks
  on the morning of April 22.  Bright moonlight will reduce the number of
  shooting stars that are easy to see, but many meteor enthusiasts will be
  watching anyway because it's been over 3 months since the last major
  meteor display. http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2000/ast18apr_1m.htm

# MORE EVIDENCE THAT EUROPA LIVES: http://spacedaily.com/news/life-00p1.html
# WAS MGS ROTATED OFF-NADIR TO IMAGE THE FACE ON MARS ON FEBRUARY 17, 2000?
  http://www.psrw.com/~markc/Articles/Nerbun_April2000/nerbun.html
# NEW MARS IMAGES REVEAL EXOTIC LANDSCAPE - exotic dancers sighted:
  http://www.cnn.com/2000/TECH/space/04/11/mars.ice.ap/index.html

: Would we Earthlings be able to recognize, let alone communicate with, life
on Mars, Europa, meteors, stars? Would we rather face such life, turn away
from it, fantasize something else entirely? Are we ready for life's reality?

  "Capital punishment turns the state into a murderer. But imprisonment
   turns the state into a gay dungeon-master." -- Emo Philips

* Rev.R.Carter, ULC * http://skepticon.pitas.com * FAX: 603-415-3736
* SkeptiNews bulletins now *ONLINE* at: http://skeptinews.pitas.com/
* Fringes of Thought, Experience, Behavior, Knowledge, Foreboding...

screeds are unwelcomed. Substance—not soap-boxing—please!  These are sordid
matters