From: "nessie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Nobody has been charged in any of this. Why? Why do Cuban-Americans have
> special rights?

I think you know the answer to that.  It's the same reason the Republicans
are pushing for Congressional hearings into this, even though every single
major poll shows the majority of the American public do NOT want them to
waste the public's time and tax dollar on such hearings...

When was the last time you saw congresscritters as a group ignore public
opinion polls?

This time it's because the Cuban-American community is an organized special-
interest group, a PAC that wields too much power for its size.  Hopefully
their latest sheanigans have started to open the eyes of real Americans
(citizens who prefer to wave the U.S. flag rather that the flag of their
foreparents) to what this organized group is all about.  Hopefully we're
witnessing the beginning of the end of the inordinate power this group has
exercised over American politics for the past 40+ years....

> As for the what the mother, or someone, did to Elian out there at sea, two
> words come to mind: child endangerment.

Exactly.  She was interested more in following her meal-ticket boyfriend (and
probably allowing raging hormones to rule instead of cool logic) than in any
ivory-tower concepts of 'freedom'...and she chose to take Elian away from his
father, who had joint custody, behind his back.

> If an American mother took her kid to Iraq and died on the way, what would
> America do to get the kid back?

Yes, and there would be a fanatical group of Iraqis noisily clamoring that the
child would be better off being raised by the Iraqui relatives than be sent
back to 'the Great Satan' U.S.A....

June

screeds are unwelcomed. Substance—not soap-boxing—please!  These are sordid
matters