In a message dated 4/27/00 11:08:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Okay, now for my comments...

Oh let it rest. Here's a guy from Poughkeepsie, NY who lives in FL
and was at the right/wrong place at the right/wrong time and is getting his
15million minutes of fame.

The "fame" is created by the media (or is it the Media?).

I wish we could all stand back a minute and look at the frenzy the the
media(Media) has fostered on us.

98% of everything that passes for news(News?) on TV/radio/etc is hype
designed to get ratings so they can sell us products.
They don't even care if they "sell" the product, they just want their names
in front of people over and over (the Blimpie commercial is a parody of this).
And we, being the lemmings that we are, will buy anything that's got a
familiar name. Why else would companies pay millions to have just their name
on little signs on the outfield fences at baseball games?
We're being programmed to buy,buy,buy irrationally just to keep the economic
juggernaut moving. We worship consumerism.

People no longer go on vacation to relax...they go to buy. Even the Japanese
come in on 747s to shop at the biggest mall of all in Minneapolis.
Sorry, I digress.

We've been had by the media, over and over.
The cult of personality prevails. There's more gossip in the papers than
news...or is it news too? Well the Elian affair is almost a Soap Opera.
Who gives a rat's ass?
Well, it could be the whole thing comes from universal suffrage!
Women, as we've learned from sociology, are concerned about relationships,
and that's what they discuss between themselves. (And try to discuss with
their mates!  :-) ) They also spend a lot of money. Ergo, the media delivers
them to advertisers by giving them soap operas, real and imagined.
Was it not logical that politicians, seeking the female vote, would entwine
themselves in the "soap operas" of life to get exposure?
That exposure leading to votes?

screeds are unwelcomed. Substance—not soap-boxing—please!  These are sordid
matters