Saturday, June 24 10:39 PM SGT

Astrologist releases taped converations with Mitterrand

PARIS, June 24 (AFP) -

Astrologist Elizabeth Teissier, has decided to publish transcripts of taped
conversations she had with former French president Francois Mitterrand
between 1990 and 1995, she said Saturday.

"I want to respond to all kinds of insinuations which have cast doubt over
the
purely professional discussions between Mitterrand and myself, and to
demonstrate the importance of astrology in politics," she told AFP.

Mitterrand's daughter Mazarine Pingeot said Saturday that her father, who
served as president from 1981 to 1995, did not seek Teissier's advice to
make important decisions.

"It is all laughable and unimportant," she said.

The tapes reveal Teissier advising Mitterrand on such subjects as the
government of former prime minister Edith Cresson and the date of the
French referendum on the Maastricht Treaty, according to extracts printed by
pay-TV station Canal Plus in the written version of one of its programs.

Teissier claimed Mitterrand had called upon her often during the Gulf War,
she said, adding that the former president was keen to seek her advice
despite his skeptical and rational nature.

In one extract, Mitterrand asks for advice about the timing of a speech at
the
beginning of the conflict in January 1991:

"I am going to have to intervene. Which, according to you, is the best day?"
Mitterrand asks.

"In the coming days?" Teissier replies.

"Sunday, Monday, Tuesday," Mitterrand answers.

"I will have to look into that, because I can't tell you point-blank like
that,"
she says.

"Come and see me," he finishes.

Teissier said that she met Mitterrand in 1989 at his request, and that she
recorded their conversations from 1990 onwards with his consent.

"The idea of recording came to me very quickly, but with his permission, of
course. It was the only proof for me that it was all real," she said.

"After several meetings, I went to see him with my recorder. He was taken
aback. I told him it was for my grandchildren, and eventually to write a
book."

Teissier, who held her meetings with Mitterrand at the Elysee Palace except
in 1995, when their conversations took place on the telephone, had already
revealed the content of her interviews in a book published three years ago.

It was only after recent press speculation about their relationship that she
decided to publish the transcripts, she said.

The head of the Francois Mitterrand Institute, Jean-Louis Bianco, declined
comment on the revelations.

http://english.hk.dailynews.yahoo.com/headlines/world/afp/article.html?s=hke
/headlines/000624/world/afp/Astrologist_releases_taped_converations_with_M
itterrand.html