From: "Yardbird" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Lizzie was later seen, and attested to to, having burned a dress that
did
> have blood stains on it.

The dress didn't have blood on it, but brown paint.  Her sister, their
friend who saw the dress burning, and the dressmaker who had made the
dress the previous May all testified to that.  Lizzie never testified
during her trial, only at the initial inquest which was held a few days
after the murders and before the dress-burning incident had come to
light (hence it was never brought up in the inquest testimony).

The day before the dress burning the police thoroughly searched the
Borden premises looking for just that -- bloodstained clothing.  They
actually tore panels off walls and bricks from chimneys, but found
nothing.  So if the dress that was burned DID have blood on it (which
the prosecution tried to imply), no one has been able to explain where
Lizzie successfully hid it during the search.

BTW, Lizzie burned the dress because her sister Emma told her to; it
wasn't until their friend Alice Russell walked into the kitchen and saw
what Lizzie was doing did Alice mention that if it was found out, it
would 'look bad' for Lizzie; at which time Lizzie demanded of Emma "why
did you let me do it?".  So it would seem that if anything, it was EMMA
who had something to hide, or at least a desire to implicate Lizzie...

And also BTW, this dress-burning was done with a couple of Fall River's
finest standing right outside the kitchen door and by the window next
to the stove where the dress was burned...

> The implicit suggestion by the defense was that
> it was menstrual blood though why she didn't wash it and chose to
burn it
> was never satisfactorily explained by Lizzie.

The only garment of Lizzie's entered as evidence that contained any
sort of blood on it was one cotton petticoat.  The blood was the size
of a pinhead, and it was the prosecution's witness, on
cross-examination by the defense, who admitted that the blood had come
from the underside of the garment, and "was not inconsistent with
menstrual blood".

Lizzie WAS having her period at the time of the murders.

As to why "she didn't wash it", I suggest you tune into a series
currently on PBS called "1900 House" (about a modern family trying to
live as Victorians), and get an idea of what washing clothes back in
that time entailed.  No automatic washers.  No clorine bleach.
Everything had to be done by hand, and hard work it was.  It was
probably impossible to completely remove any bloodstain, and one the
size of a pinhead was probably left alone.

June