-Caveat Lector-

From: "Johannes Schmidt III" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> You're privy to the mail he sends his supporters?

All mail to and from prisoners is read by the authorities who censor it before sending
it on.

>If that was the case, why didn't they charge him with conspiracy
>to shoot the president?

Good question.  But it definitely is one of the things keeping him IN prison.

>From what I've read there was little classic 'mind control'
>practiced by Manson on his followers. Most of them seemed to
>be semi-independant drifters,

Perhaps 'independent' in that they had no steady jobs and had broken from their
families, but personality-wise
they were all pretty 'dependent' people, needing someone of a strong personality to
tell them what to do.

And Manson, being the con that he is, recognized a good thing when he saw it, namely
the tendency for these
dependent personalities to be easily lured into a 'commune' type existence led by a
'guru', a role Manson
readily assumed.

>would-be musicians, dropouts attracted to the women of easy
>virtue who Manson wisely surrounded himself with etc., who
>were attracted to his charisma. He didn't lock them in cupboards
>for days etc. The closest thing (and again it may be something
>they dreamed up at trial to support their story) was that when
>they had group sex sessions, he would go around 'directing' who
>was to do what with who etc.

Ask Mike Love (who can hardly be described as a 'would-be musician') about Manson's
control, including his
control of sex sessions...and how afraid Love was for his life when he decided to make
a break from Manson and
the group...

> What is your source on this? Or are you just 'assuming' it must be the case?

A couple of documentaries...one most recently on women's penitentiaries that touched
on Squeaky Fromme...have
discussed the letters to and from Charlie which the prison censors read...

June