-Caveat Lector-

>> >In this case, I believe it is based on "Ness", as in the lake in Scotland
>with the purported monster...

Well, if I were to name myself after, say, the Murray River you would probably assume
Murray was a male. Similarly if I named myself for Alice Springs, you would probably
be entitled to assume (wrongly) that I was female.

>> I think a lake would be by default feminine, like a ship?
>>

>it is the monster he is named after- not the lake.
>ships and cars (and computers) are only feminine to men, aren't they?

I thought it was an English convention. Do women refer to ships as being male?

>aren't you a reconstructed man johannes? ;)

Thanks to modern Frankenstein eye-television and ear-radio parroting puppet gangster
slaves I have been reconstructed several times with mostly original parts.

>and anyway- johnnie and willie end in ie and are not at all feminine, willie
>in fact is another name for a penis.

I would spell both with a 'y' on the end.