-Caveat Lector-

In a message dated 01/08/2001 9:48:49 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< The answer lies in good part to the fact that the wise women demanded
cleanliness...they may have cast an aura
 of spirituality and ritual about it, but the bottom line was that they were
practicing antiseptic control long
 before it became the accepted norm amongst 'learned men of science'.  In
fact, the first 'real' doctor who
 suggested that doctors should wash their hands between patients was roundly
criticized and hooted by his peers
 as believing in 'old wives tales'... >>

June, this is an excellent posting.  I think that there was a novel, I think
it's name was "The Cry and The Covenant," that detailed the so called
"doctors" taking great pride in going from the examination of corpses to the
examination of women about to give birth.  It's been a long time since I read
it, but I should think it would have been enough to take some of the stuffing
out of the shirts of many in the medical profession.

Prudy