-Caveat Lector-

From: "Prudence L. Kuhn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> June, this is an excellent posting.  I think that there was a novel, I think
> it's name was "The Cry and The Covenant," that detailed the so called
> "doctors" taking great pride in going from the examination of corpses to the
> examination of women about to give birth.  It's been a long time since I read
> it, but I should think it would have been enough to take some of the stuffing
> out of the shirts of many in the medical profession.

It was something that was drilled into us when I took nursing classes...to impress on
us the necessity of
washing our hands between patients.  Even though I never went on to become a nurse, it
was ingrained in me
enough to make it a point to pay attention to whether various levels of medical
personnel wash their hands
before examining me.

Routinely, nurses do.  It's the rare doctor who does, and I make it a point to demand
that they wash their
hands first before touching me.  The doctors always act surprised when I ask, but not
one has ever objected,
and they sheepishly comply, as they KNOW they just violated a major tenet of medicine
that was drilled into
them when they were first-year students...

June