-Caveat Lector-

There has been much research that shows the power of the mind over the
body.  Some of the better known are the studies using cancer patients.
The ceremony was part of the cure.  The patient believes that the
medicine will work and therefore it does.  An advancement of the Placebo
Effect.  Your mind can make you sick and your mind can heal your body.
Ceremony is the delivery vehicle.  Makes no difference if it is White
Witchcraft, VooDoo, Christian Prayer or any other ceremony; if you
believe it will cure you then it probably will help you.  Combine that
with knowledge of natural medicine and you have a pretty good medical
system for most patients.  We know that brain surgery took place at least
5000 years ago, and the patients survived. (Healed areas in anciet skulls
prove this).  We have physical evidence of the use of many herbs that go
back 35,000 years, and they are the chemical basis for much of what we
have today.  The use of wine, beer and marijuana can be traced back at
least 8000 years, and are today being understood as good for you in
moderate amounts.   It is the belief, not what is believed, that has
power.