-Caveat Lector-

You have been sent this message from [EMAIL PROTECTED] as a courtesy of the
Washington Post - http://www.washingtonpost.com

 To view the entire article, go to
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A28438-2002Oct27.html

 Misleading the Nation About War

   I know something about defending a president who's been caught lying. Let me tell
my friend Ari Fleischer that he's only making things worse for President Bush. After
The Post reported on Mr. Bush's many fabrications regarding Iraq and homeland
security, Mr. Fleischer sent a letter to the editor in which he refers to President
Clinton's false denial of an affair as a "crime that shook the nation" [Oct. 24].

 The lawyer in me is compelled to point out that President Clinton has never been
charged with nor convicted of a crime. The same cannot be said of President George W.
Bush who, of course, was convicted of drunken driving many years ago. To his shame, in
the 2000 campaign Mr. Bush falsely denied ever having been convicted of a crime.

 The political veteran in me knows that lying about a long-past drunken driving
conviction -- or an affair -- is understandable, if not excusable. What is not
excusable is misleading the country -- repeatedly, as The Post and others have noted
-- about going to war. There is something odd about a White House that thinks
misleading people about sex is a crime, but misleading us about war is good public
policy.

 PAUL E. BEGALA

  McLean

  The writer was counselor to President Clinton.

  In his letter, White House Spokesman Ari Fleischer wrote, "True, the president
stated that the International Atomic Energy Agency said Iraq could possess nuclear
weapons in as few as six months. It was in fact the International Institute for
Strategic Studies that issued the report. The source may be different, but the
underlying fact remains the same, despite the story's declaration of the president's
argument, once again, as 'dubious, if not wrong.' "

 I find it curious that the report the White House now claims the president's original
statement was based on was released Sept. 9, two days after President Bush made his
statement. Even more curious, just like the original source that has been disavowed,
the new source that the White House cites as the basis for the president's statement
does not say that Iraq was six months away from developing a nuclear weapon.

 According to the International Institute for Strategic Studies Web site:

  "Iraq does not possess facilities to produce fissile material in sufficient amounts
for nuclear weapons. It would require several years and extensive foreign assistance
to build such fissile material production facilities. It could, however, assemble
nuclear weapons within months if fissile material from foreign sources were obtained.
It could divert domestic civil-use radioisotopes or seek to obtain foreign material
for a crude radiological device."

 Based on that, the president's claim sure sounds "dubious, if not wrong" to me, and
it's not exactly what is needed on an issue of this import.

 WILLIAM MURPHY

 Westminster

http://archive.jab.org/ctrl@;listserv.aol.com/
 <A HREF="http://archive.jab.org/ctrl@;listserv.aol.com/">ctrl</A>