Hi, all, am in the process of setting up a new system.  Luckily, I have
all the critical things backed up.  This evening I was planning on
copying over all the non-critical but don't really want to lose stuff.

Ran into a problem I can't fix.  Here's what happened:

1. oldSATA (had Ubuntu 7.10 on it) plugged into external USB hard drive
cage
2. accessed it from new Ubuntu 8.10 computer
3. began copying files from oldSATA/home/tmk/ to newSATA/home/tmk
4. copied one file, no problems, so set it to copy over my virtual box
files
5. copy failed with I/O error
6. unmounted external oldSATA
7. shut down new computer; plugged in oldSATA as /dev/sdb
8. booted up new computer; could access /dev/sdb
9. saw expected file directories; navigated to /home/
10. at this point, every time I tried to enter /home/tmk/ it displayed
the contents of /home/ instead.  checking from terminal, I/O error at
that point.
11. shut down new computer; removed oldSATA; put it back into old
computer; tried to boot up in recovery mode.
12. got this error:

Check root= bootarg cat /proc/cmdline
or missing modules; devices: cat /proc/modules ls /dev
ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uuid/7df13ee4-d683-414a-adbe-c77fc8cb94f2 does not
exist.  Dropping to a shell!

13. rebooted; at the grub boot menu, 'e' to edit, then changed the
"root=[device]" parameter from UUID to /dev/sda1; booted, and it
actually seemed to go well for a little while.
14. then it dropped into a terminal, it found inconsistencies and said
fsck needed to be run manually, but it never gave shell prompt to run
it.  finally shut it down and rebooted ...
15. now, can continually press 'e' at boot time, only see grub stage
1.5, then grub error 2 ... can't try to fix filesystem that way
16. tried booting up live CD ... does not see /dev/sda at all, so can't
use grub-install executable

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Theresa