From:   Norman Bassett, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The matter of Anne Pearston's emotional motivation for
the very effective campaigning she's done remains
unpublicised.

I'm writing today to the Countryside Alliance about a
story I've heard from Labour Party sources that the
foxhunting issue is being called "The War of Foster's
Cat" in Parliament.(Ever heard of the US/UK "War of
Jenkin's Ear"?) The allegation is that Mike Foster's
family cat was killed by a pack of foxhounds.

Anne Pearston, Sean Connery, Mike Foster - all are
heavily emotionally-motivated. Makes great
campaigners. Very difficult to combat with amateur
campaigners who think a rational argument is an
effective one and keep getting steamrollered.

Regards
Norman Bassett
drakenfels.org
--
I did okay against Tony Hill.  You need more than
rational arguments you need the absolute facts and

So in response I quoted the Scottish Office statistics
that out of 60 appeals in the three years prior
only 3 had been successful, a success rate of only 5%.

The look on his face as his jaw dropped is one of
my favourite memories.  I had basically committed
the HAC report on handguns to memory.

However, it's very easy with emotional arguments to
corner them.  For example, I asked him why would a
handgun ban be great.  So he reeled off all the reasons
why, many of which were barmy purely on the face of it.

Follow-up question, "What other bans have been successful?"
Answer: "Lots of bans have been successful."
Follow-up: "Such as?"

Followed by at least 30 seconds of total silence until I
started speaking again while he profusely sweated.

At that point I had won the argument.

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]