On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 01:03:05PM -0800, Eric Cordian wrote:
> So we not only have secret courts, we have secret appeals courts to
> reverse secret court decisions the government doesn't like.

I'd urge folks to read the redacted opinion, available here:
http://www.cadc.uscourts.gov/common/newsroom/02-001.pdf

On the last page or so, there's a truly remarkable sentiment:
        Even without taking into account the
        President's inherent constitutional authority to conduct
        warrantless foreign intelligence surveillance, we think the
        procedures and government showings required under FISA, if
        they do not meet the minimum Fourth Amendment warrant
        standards, certainly come close. We, therefore, believe
        firmly, applying the balancing test drawn from Keith, that
        FISA as amended is constitutional because the surveillances it
        authorizes are reasonable.

The judges are explicitly acknowledging that the FISA rules, as amended by
USA Patriot, violate the Fourth Amendment -- but that's okay SINCE IT'S
CLOSE ENOUGH FOR GOVERNMENT WORK, apparently.

-Declan