On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 11:22:09AM -0800, Tim May wrote:

> YHWH is the Tetragrammaton. Jews (and some others) believe the name of
> their god may not not be spoken. Vowels are usually left out in Semitic
> languages, with sometimes placeholder consonants. In this case, various
> transcriptions of YHWH come out as "Yahweh," "Jehova," "Jehovah," etc.

     Correct, except for the Jehovah part. The use of jehovah has been entirely
refuted by pretty much all bible scholars and the only translation you'll find
it in is, IIRC, the King James. Jehovah's Witnesses still use it, of course,
but..

> The "Yah" part is familiat to those familiar with Rastafarians, as Ja
> or Jah.

    Well, sort of -- but actually for them Jah is just the shortened version of
Jah Ras Tafari, meaning Haile Selassie, Emperor of Ethopia, direct descendant of
the King David. Who was also Mesheach ha Israel, BTW, as was Solomon. And Saul,
for awhile, but his annointing was taken away. Which is one of those deeply
jewish things that the christers never comprehended when they co-opted Rabbi
Yeshua's movement for their new religion -- they never even caught on to what
messiah means, and still don't.
    Speaking of new religions -- gotta' love those Rastas. Their theology is a
bit funky, with Haile Selassie and all, but still, what a groovin' religion, eh?

> As for silly claim that "no Jewish mother ever named her son Jesus,"
> Ken Brown and others have already dealt with how languages and
> alphabets shift around. The shifts between consonants (like J and Y,
> like D and T in German, and so on) are well known to all etymologists.

   Ah yes, I totally understand all that -- what you (and the christers and some
others here) don't seem to grasp is the inviolate nature of the fucking *HOLY
NAME* and what that means. It was, after all, a jewish thing, and  -- if you
want to play their game, you gotta play by their rules -- meaning you don't mess
around with the name of the god. And also, you have to live it in accordance
with their religious laws, times of observances, dietary, the whole bit.

(snip)

--
Harmon Seaver
CyberShamanix