Harmon Seaver wrote:

> Translate/transliterate is irrelevant -- you don't change people's names, you
> especially don't change the name of the god. This was a Jewish religion, after
> all, and as I mentioned before, the Old Testament is simply awash with praises
> for the *name*. The whole name thing became so utterly important to the Jews
> that they wouldn't even say it aloud less they mispronounce it. So if Rabbi
> Yeshua was god incarnate or the son of god, it's the same thing.

This is *so* off-topic and others have replied sensibly, but you really,
really, do miss the point about transliterations, that is writing
languages in different scripts.

Alphabets don't usually map onto each other 1:1. Each version of the
alphabet has some symbols that represent more than one sound, or sounds
represented by more than one symbol. No alphabet codes for all sounds
used in  human language, and each alphabet misses out different sounds.

It is *impossible* to take something written in the Hebrew alphabet and
write it down accurately in the English alphabet, and vice versa. There
are sounds coded for in each alphabet that are not coded for in the
other.

No-one was trying to change anyone's name.  Hebrew words, place names,
people's names, were  written in the Hebrew alphabet, but read by people
who spoke Aramaic and pronounced the letters differently.  Then they
were written down in Greek, which lacks some consonants, but adds
vowels. No possible Greek version of any word could have been exactly
the same as the Hebrew.  Then they were written into Latin, and copied
from Latin into English - and that over a thousand years ago, since then
our pronounciation has changed.  It is like the game of Chinese
whispers, at each stage a different noise is introduced into the signal.

"Yeshua" is probably a better English rendition than "Jesus" because it
has only been through one stage transliteration, not 4 or 5, but it is
still, inevitably, inaccurate. Also of course we don't actually know
exactly how words were pronounced in those days, its all reconstruction
about which scholars differ. And it seems that many people in Palestine
in those days had a Hebrew name and a Greek name, just as many Africans
these days have a name in their own language and one in English or
French, so the Greek version of one of the names might well represent
how it was spoken better than the Hebrew, at least some of the time. In
fact one approach to trying to work out how people in Palestine actually
spoke in Roman times is to look at the Greek spellings of words and
assume that Greek writers wrote down the words as they were then spoken
- Hebrew spelling had been fossilised for centuries and probably did not
represent the actual sounds used very accurately at all, and anyway most
people spoke Aramaic which was then a just-about-mutually-intelligible
sister language of Hebrew

There need be no intent to "change people's names". It is impossible to
avoid.

Maybe this isn't all that off-topic. It is hard to imagine how anyone
who failed to see the real problems inherent in transliterating between
different codes could have much of a grasp of software or cryptography.