On Sun, Aug 28, 2016 at 12:34:53AM +0200, Jelena Jovanovic wrote:
> Thats malicious intepretation. Knowing about backdoors is excellent for
> weeding them out from libraries, dont you think?
> What makes you think same knowledge cannot be used to start the abandoned
> branch of Tor successfully.

Also, I find examples of intent to being honest, open, and up front
about who we are, much more useful, for both "a sense of real community
with real people" as well as facilitating others to make informed
choices "hey, if you don't like me, no probs, I ain't hiding who I am
and I support your choice".

The alternative causes those who wish to sincerely and honourably
contribute to a community, but who might be 'rejected' by some, to hide
who they are.

Those who hide may have a genuine reason to hide - like "ex" CIA agents
who stopped working for the CIA literally the day prior to applying to
work for Tor Inc (to pick one utterly random and unrelated example).

The issue with Tor Inc and their CIA employs (and throwing out their
entire board of directors and including one token "publicly perceived as
plausibly honest" "good guy" Bruce Schneier), is that they are wielding
centralised power, and a lot of it (dir auths, most coding and code
review, veto power (by never developing certain) over particularly
significant anti-GPA enhancements to Tor.

When we have Dingledine and co "wanting to make Tor Inc a comfortable
place to work for ex-CIA" yet supports the lynching of the one outlier
who opposed this (Jacob Applebaum), we have a serious problem, and those
at Tor Inc are "lacking self awareness" of the problem, or ultimately
compromised (by their dependence on wages or other compromises).

Distributing the development of privacy tecnologies is an excellent
thing.

Being aware of who you are placing trust in, is another excellent thing.

Not trusting those undeserving of your trust is a wise thing.

Good luck,