On 08/27/2016 07:20 PM, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
>> On Sat, Aug 27, 2016 at 8:12 PM, Vasily Kolobkov <
>> polezaivs...@openmailbox.org> wrote:
>>> A tor fork ran in part by @jmprcx (aka @jmpedx), former infantry
>>> man with a background in offensive software backdooring [1] and who
>>> knows whom else?! Thanks, but no, thanks.
>>>
>>> [1] http://livestream.com/internetsociety3/hopeconf/videos/130717710
>
> On Sun, Aug 28, 2016 at 12:34:53AM +0200, Jelena Jovanovic wrote:
>> Thats malicious intepretation. Knowing about backdoors is excellent for
>> weeding them out from libraries, dont you think?
>> What makes you think same knowledge cannot be used to start the abandoned
>> branch of Tor successfully.
>
> Also, I find examples of intent to being honest, open, and up front
> about who we are, much more useful, for both "a sense of real community
> with real people" as well as facilitating others to make informed
> choices "hey, if you don't like me, no probs, I ain't hiding who I am
> and I support your choice".
>
> The alternative causes those who wish to sincerely and honourably
> contribute to a community, but who might be 'rejected' by some, to hide
> who they are.
>
> Those who hide may have a genuine reason to hide - like "ex" CIA agents
> who stopped working for the CIA literally the day prior to applying to
> work for Tor Inc (to pick one utterly random and unrelated example).
>
> The issue with Tor Inc and their CIA employs (and throwing out their
> entire board of directors and including one token "publicly perceived as
> plausibly honest" "good guy" Bruce Schneier), is that they are wielding
> centralised power, and a lot of it (dir auths, most coding and code
> review, veto power (by never developing certain) over particularly
> significant anti-GPA enhancements to Tor.
>
> When we have Dingledine and co "wanting to make Tor Inc a comfortable
> place to work for ex-CIA" yet supports the lynching of the one outlier
> who opposed this (Jacob Applebaum), we have a serious problem, and those
> at Tor Inc are "lacking self awareness" of the problem, or ultimately
> compromised (by their dependence on wages or other compromises).
>
> Distributing the development of privacy tecnologies is an excellent
> thing.
>
> Being aware of who you are placing trust in, is another excellent thing.
>
> Not trusting those undeserving of your trust is a wise thing.
>
> Good luck,

I tend to be more trusting of process than of people. If the process is
open and the license is ok i generally hope the product will be ok.

...but see how well that worked in OpenBSD with the IsaKMP hole being
programmed into it with a variable being set to zero. (but i am showing
my age.)

--- Marina