On Oct 12, 2009, at 2:04 PM, jpoorra...@aol.com wrote:

> But are there downsides for the user?

        Depends on the user. Some prefer the Gmail interface; others prefer
Thunderbird, Mail.app or Outlook.

> I took another look at your talk, and it seems you're saying that the
> desktop application UI is "richer"  -- makes the user experience
> richer --  that
> even with new enhancements, user interfaces written in html, java,
> etc. are
> somehow deficient. Can you give some examples of this? Things you
> can do
> in a  desktop app that are harder or impossible in browser app?

        Maybe it's just me, but I find even the advanced UIs of toolkits such
as jQuery or ExtJS to be passable, but gravely lacking compared to
OSX, Gnome or KDE. And to do that stuff in browsers, you're stuck with
Javascript. I guess I'm spoiled by Python, but the more I have to use
Javascript (and I do a lot of it here at work), the less I like it.
That's a bad sign for a language.

> This is interesting since, as I mentioned, we have recently heard a
> preference for "web-based" over VFP. Perhaps we could make a case
> for the
> "richer" Springboard/dabo model rather than browser/html.

        Most of the advantages of web-based apps is the zero deployment and
zero upgrade, which Springboard addresses.

> By the way, how is Springboard coming along? Is it up on dabodev.com?

        It was working fine; I recently moved things to serve over WSGI on
daboserver.com, and ran into some permission issues for the internal
DBs. This should be fixed, but I haven't had much time to test.

-- Ed Leafe