Just my 0.02$...

When I install Ubuntu on a new disk, I always partition with a separate /home.

This way, I when I do a fresh install (typically 15-20 min), I set DO NOT format and use as /home that partition.

When I reboot, I have the new LTS, all my files and .config in my /home untouched, I only have to reinstall my apps (Gimp, Grsync, Darktable, Inkscape and a few others).