On Sat, 26 Nov 2016 17:30:59 +0100, Rico Heil wrote:
> I am currently in the process of selecting the components for my new PC.
>
> The only really "CPU-consuming" task for this computer will be
> developing my RAW photos using darktable.
>
> I am unsure if I should buy an Intel Core i5-6500 or if it would be
> worth to pay 110 € more and get a Core i7-6700. Both CPUs feature 4
> cores, the main difference seems to be that the i5 is lacking
> hyperthreading, which the i7 supports (and a little bit higher clock
> rate with the i7).
>
> Does anybody know, how much of a difference (if any) I should experience
> between those two processors while using darktable?
>
> Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience!

The PassMark (http://www.cpubenchmark.net) number for the i7-6700K is
11,044; for the i5-6500, it's 7072.  My experience has been that this
provides a pretty good measure for heavily multi-threaded
CPU-intensive workloads, which darktable is in large part.  For
operations that don't parallelize as well, the single thread PassMark
number is also of interest; for the 6700 it's 2341 while for the 6500
it's 1945.  The upshot is that you should expect somewhere between 20%
and 55% improvement with the 6700.

There are faster CPUs.  The i7-5820K, for example, has a PassMark
number of 12980 and a single thread rating of 2010.  That's because it
has more cores (6 vs. 4).  The i7-4790K is 11187 while its single
thread rating is 2527 (which is the fastest available).

I've found that my 5820K can process about 10 20MP photos/minute with
typical noise reduction and such; it looks like it's keeping the
processor mostly busy.  It's a little more expensive than the 6700K,
but I bought it on sale.

Offhand, I'd say that the i7-6700K would be a very good affordable
choice if you're doing a lot of photos.  Make sure you get plenty of
RAM (at least 16GB).  An SSD for your root+home directory would be a
good idea, but for your bulk image storage, it won't help you as much.
The RAW processing is not especially I/O-intensive; 10x20MP images is
only about 250MB in and 100MB out, so call it 350 MB/minute, or 6
MB/sec.  This I/O streams well, so you're nowhere near limited by disk
I/O (typically around 100 MB/sec for conventional spinning media).
--
Robert Krawitz                                     <r...@alum.mit.edu>

--Eric Crampton