I have a picture of a white barrel cactus (Cleistocactus icosagonus) which was
taken in strong light, bringing out the white 'leafs'.  The illumination is
along one edge, rather like a crescent moon.  The crescent is overblown whenever
I convert to JPEG, and I can't figure out how to manipulate it down without the
rest of the image being darkened or distorted.

Other than ending up dealing with layers in GIMP, or somehow masking the
crescent, which, because of the spiky leaves might be awkward, what can I do
about this?  I there some way to 'flatten' the top end of the white alone?

I know some controls have sliders, but, for example, keeping the R&G&B all
aligned is difficult.  Is there a way to do numeric input or lock sliders
together?

Or am I just approaching this the wrong way?

--
The radical of one century is the conservative of the next. The radical invents
the views. When he has worn them out, the conservative adopts them.