Hi,
If you want to reduce brightness in the blown highlights without darkening the
whole image you should reduce the contrast. I would recommend turning off the
base curve, turning on highlight reconstruction, and turning on a low contrast
curve. Then, using the clarity preset in the equaliser helps to retain image
details in the low contrast setting.
Cheers
Michael