Hey,
just a quick note about the basecurve: that curve is very early in the
processing stack. So if you blow your highlights in this stage, they are gone,
before you can do something about it.
If there are exposure problems it is far better to use the contrast curve in
the colour tab, because that is applied later.
Cheers
Michael