On samedi 4 février 2017 09:03:18 CET Michael Below wrote:
> Hey,
> just a quick note about the basecurve: that curve is very early in the
> processing stack. So if you blow your highlights in this stage, they are
> gone, before you can do something about it. If there are exposure problems
> it is far better to use the contrast curve in the colour tab, because that
> is applied later. Cheers
> Michael

Yes and no.

Note that I said it was not very useful to disable the basecurve *if you are
going to enable it again later*. In DT, modules are applied in a fixed order,
independant of when you activate them. In addition, DT works internally in 32-
bit floating point, and does not clamp the colour values within the pipeline
(that's what the developers tell us, anyway: see section 3.2 in the manual).
Of course, colour values *are* clamped to a fixed range at the end of the
treatment (if only because you don't want values to wrap around when going to
8 bit/channel), but that's not relevant in selecting which modules to use.

That is not to say that picking another basecurve to spare your highlights
can't be useful, but this *will* influence the whole image, just like the tone
curve. That was something the OP wanted to avoid. And that requirement means
you will have to use some form of masking. I find that parametric masks can
work rather well in such circumstances.

And don't forget that, in general, you will want to apply a rather aggressive
S-curve to transform your sensor data (intensity linear with photon count) to
something pleasing for you (intensity ~logarithmic with photon count). You
have a choice of using one of the provided basecurves (optimised to reflect
the basic style of different camera brands) or build your own in the tonecurve
module.

Remco