What if the duplicate image and apply style was automated?  Say that you
had a module style preview.  It displays a list of styles.  You select an
image, and some styles you'd like to try, then hit apply.  A duplicate is
created for each style selected and the style is applied.  When you're done
you select the duplicates and then trash them.