* Benjamin Daines <ben@digitalsand.photography> [04-07-19 11:04]:
> Importing the folder doesn't recognize versions either unfortunately.
> On Sat, 2019-04-06 at 13:54 -0400, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> > * Benjamin Daines <ben@digitalsand.photography> [04-06-19 12:51]:
> > > The issue I'm running into now, with database=:memory: is that if
> > > I'veduplicated an image so that I've got two xmp files for the same
> > > image(say IMG1.xmp and IMG1_01.xmp), when I close the folder and
> > > open itagain, DT only reads the initial image, not the second
> > > version.  If Ithen create a new version, DT immediately overwrites
> > > IMG1_01.xmp, sounless I've copied all my xmp files to a
> > > subdirectory, that work islost.  It would be best to have darktable
> > > automatically create these versionswhen seeing IMG_01.xmp.
> > > Hopefully that makes sense. On Tue, 2019-04-02 at 07:20 +0300, Juha

> > > Thanks.
> >
> > try instead, to import the image instead of just reading the xmp
> > file.  Ihave not seen that happen to me and I do have duplicate
> > images withdifferent crops.  it appears your dup images are not being
> > created withthe same filenames reflected by your oddly number xmp
> > files.  but ...

versions of what?

importing an image not in dt's db will utilize the acompanying xmp.

you have something irregular wrt your filename and accompanying xmp files.
if the filenames to the xmp files do not match, iiuc, the xmp is not
relevant, ie: not utilized.  you appear to be defeating the very action
you wish to utilize.

Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/piwigo               paka @ IRCnet freenode