On 2019-04-09 15:10, jys wrote:

On Tue, Apr 9, 2019, at 12:56, I. Ivanov wrote:

Honestly... the color difference basecurve vs filmic is so dramatic to
me that is *forbidding* the use of the module in a significant amount of
images for me. I am perplexed as "why" the color is so different. Tried
to export the images and the effect is persistent in Geeqie.
The filmic module doesn't try to match the base curve, at all. If you want to
do that you'll have to manually set it to some fairly extreme settings. Even
doing this, the colors will be different, partly because basecurve is before
the input color profile in the pipeline, and tends to push colors to extremes,
and partly because filmic is, in part, specifically built to avoid these
unnatural saturation extremes. Hence even with similar curves, you might need
to use additional color tools if you want to emulate what basecurve does (and
in that case, you might want to just stick with basecurve).

Anyway, attached is a quick and dirty attempt to at least get the filmic curve
into the same ballpark as the basecurve, as a place to *start* with a
comparison, at least. :)

Thank you, this is a very good example! I guess I have some learning ahead of me. I did see this resource (from the author)

https://eng.aurelienpierre.com/2018/11/30/filmic-darktable-and-the-quest-of-the-hdr-tone-mapping/

I think I will have to re visit it and study it much more to comprehend the module. Apparently there are areas that I am missing.

Regards,