On 7/24/20 10:46, Mikael Ståldal wrote:
That sounds quite complicated. I just want to be able to use the profiles that are built-in in my cameras. With Lightroom, I could extract them with Adobe DNG Profile Editor.

If you "really" want to reproduce what the camera JPG produces - you can try the following

- the camera manufacturer includes a program to manipulate the images
- this program includes .ICC profiles - for example - Canon includes PS.ICC for (Portrait SRGB), PA.ICC (for Portrait Adobe RGB) and so on.
- take these profiles and place them in /$HOME/.config/darktable/color/in
- then use them as "input color profile" from within the input color profile module - most likely you will want to activate "unbreak input profile module" and also adjust the sliders in it and brightens / contrast saturation module.

Now the more important questions - do I recommend it, do I use it?

No. I don't use it.

In my opinion - DT has way better tools and as the others suggested you can achieve much better results than the .jpg

In my opinion - for beginner this is a good resource

https://www.youtube.com/user/audio2u
Bruce is very detailed in explaining the various modules.

I started with the tutorials from Robert Hutton
https://www.youtube.com/user/rhutton86
and even they are older I still find a lot of value in them.

If you really want to go in deep details why things are constructed the way they are Check the videos of Aurélien PIERRE. A note of caution however. These can require patience to comprehend because they are from developer's point of view.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmsSn3fujI81EKEr4NLxrcg

Last but not least - the manual. It is actually very good!

https://darktable.gitlab.io/doc/en/

Hope this helps...

Regards,