My only concern is that, although AVIF is not patent encumbered, he refused
to add the reading/writing of metadata data to AVIF, until he speaks to a
lawyer. That has been quite a long time ago and so, my AVIF files made by
darktable seem to have no metadata.

Currently, Exiftool is no better (in that regard). Worse yet, aside from
the most popular browsers, (Firefox, Chrome/Chromium), I cannot find a
viewer for AVIF files.

Does one really need a lawyer to work for over one year to decide that the
reading/writing of metadata in an AVIF does NOT violate any patents not
covered by the open license? Is his lawyer billing him at US$20,000 per day?

I am confident that the exiv2 project will be taken over. I just hope that
whoever takes it over has a lawyer who knows how to make phone calls and/or
write letters.

I have other issues on AVIF support, but this is not the thread for that.

Sincerely,

Karim Hosein
Top Rock Photography
754.999.1652