My only demand is that the lawyer gets on the phone and speak to the AOM
people. It has been almost one year! IANAL….

…But I have read the AOM license,, and I have studied the case of Nokia vs
the other members of AOM, and HEIF. In that case, all the other lawyers
claim that a) Nokia never held a patent on the parts of HEIF used in
AV1/AVIF, and, whatever patent they claim to have would have already
expired.

That leaves all remaining patents within the powers of AOM and their
licensing.

The issue was not coding, but waiting to hear from the lawyer…. for almost
a year. Robin Mills was willing to work on the code at one point, but
several people kept claiming that, despite the publicly available license,
and the work done by clothes, (including Exiftool), that Mills cannot put
any code which reads the metadata (forget about even writing it), into
exiv2. It ended with him running out of time, because no lawyer got back to
give the go-ahead, (or to affirm that it could not be done). Ergo, it will
not be done for exiv2 version 0.28.

Well, that is what the closed, feature request thread says. (It does not
say, “about a year,” but it has been over a year since the thread/response
was started, and mills giving his stance on 0.28 was almost a year ago).

Sincerely,

Karim Hosein
Top Rock Photography
754.999.1652