I really love the way that Darktable is transparent about the order of the
pipeline being applied. You can choose to use modules in whichever order
you want , but Darktable then processes them in the logical order
determined by the developers with the aim of producing the best result.
However, there are times that the module order must be changed. For
instance, I am scanning a lot of film and have discovered that I can retain
the best highlight details in negatives by scanning as a positive and
getting an image that looks like the negative with the orange base and
inverted colours. I then go to Darktable and use the negadoctor module to
invert the image to the expected colours. However, I want to then use the
color calibration module to further improve the color. This must be
reordered in the pipeline to a point after negadoctor. Darktable gives me
this option.

When I consider programs like Lightroom. There seems a logical layout of
sliders to fix exposure, shadows, highlights, color, etc. But there is no
transparency about the order that they are applied in the pipeline and
there appears no option to change the pipeline. Being able to alter the
order of modules in the GUI of darktable would be a low priority for
Darktables developers and would be of limited benefit, but being able to
order the pipeline is a great advantage of darktable and this is what the
end user should be embracing. It is also possible to manage module layouts
and sort out which modules are shown in each group and to even create a
group of favourites. This might help some people feel more comfortable with
Darktable's GUI. I also use the search module function a lot when looking
for non-favorite modules that I may not have shown in my GUI.

Darktable is an amazing program and I am so appreciative of the great
effort by the developers. It is really worth the effort to learn. Watch
some of the videos, read the release notes and read the user manual when
trying to understand modules new to you. I don't believe Knoeps was trying
to be critical of the developers or even Darktable, but rather just trying
to share his experiences at using the program.

BTW, the negadoctor module is amazing and I have not seen anything like it
in other editing programs.

--
Dr Terry Pinfold
Cytometry & Histology Lab Manager