It is interesting that this topic generated so much conversation and even
stirred up so much emotion. Darktable is an alternative program created
generously by unpaid developers. They have taken a revolutionary approach
to develop a creative method of processing and editing not only Raw files,
but also Tiff files and Jpgs. As a user I have chosen to invest my time in
learning how this program works and many of its nuances that may at first
seem strange to a user coming from commercial software such as Adobe's
Lightroom. But that was time well invested by me because I now have a
program that that is so much more powerful and under my control. It is only
in version 3.4 that I have started to realise the importance of altering
the pixel pipeline for some of my images to achieve the required results,
but Darktable gives me this ability. Programs like GIMP and Photoshop and
Lightroom don't give me this option. Sure in GIMP and Photoshop I can
choose the order to apply edits, but each of these is destructive and if I
get near the end of processing and realise I made a mistake I have to go
back to the beginning and start again. In darktable, I can reorder the
pipeline, turn off a instance of a module or make a new instance. No need
to start from scratch. And don't get me started on how great the mask
options are for each module to localise the edits. The developers have done
an incredible job. Changing the GUI is just not a priority to improve
Darktable. Users have to be willing to invest time and learn the UI and
they will be rewarded. Kudos to the developers.