> why an ordered list starts at
> the botttom and goes up, unlike any ordered list you're likely to come
> across in daily life!

Any layer-based program goes from bottom to top, with the base image at the
bottom and things applied on top of it (and let's not get into node-based
programs...). So "any ordered list" is probably too general, especially in
photo-related apps.

When users innocently raise issues about interface design, it can feel
> like nit-picking ingratitude.So it's not really surprising that some
> folk get irritated.

Especially when the same issue is raised again and again, and when given
reasonable answers the discussion returns to "but why I can't get what I
want" without reading or caring about the reasons given.

> Until a bounteous designer comes along, we must
> just be thankful for what we've got!

First: there are people interested in GUI design involved in darktable,
especially since v3. I don't know if their "day job" is GUI design, but
they're dedicated mostly to that area of darktable's development. And
second: you are assuming that a "professional designer" would get to a
fundamentally different GUI design. I guess Adobe has heaps of design
people, and yet Photoshop's layers GUI is ordered bottom to top, and the
layer application order is represented by the GUI order.

Best regards,
Guillermo