From: *Neal Holtz* <nho...@docuwebisi.ca>
Date: Thu, Jan 20, 2022 at 8:44 AM
Subject: Re: Fwd: [darktable-user] Timestamp oddity
To: <darktable-user@lists.darktable.org>

I have my camera (Nikon) set to EST (UTC-5).
Just took a photo at 2022-01-19 15:42 EST.

My computer displayed it as 10:42, not 15:42.

Timezone info is not recorded with the file time stamp.

So host computer has to assume UTC for the timestamps.
Probably the only reasonable assumption for external file systems
that were created elsewhere.

The file *in the camera file system* is given
in local camera time. It would be preferable to be in UTC.

The following is on the camera file system, before copying to computer:

> nholtz@photos:176ND850$ pwd
> /media/nholtz/NIKON D850/DCIM/176ND850
> nholtz@photos:176ND850$ ls -l
> total 25152
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 nholtz nholtz 53141230 Jan 19 10:42 D85_1332.NEF*

The above shows that 15:42 was recorded, but was displayed as 10:42
because my computer is also set to UTC-5.

A little more evidence:

> nholtz@photos:176ND850$ ls --full-time
> total 25152
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 nholtz nholtz 53141230 2022-01-19 10:42:08.910000000 -0500 D85_1332.NEF*

The '-0500' is the timezone in which to interpret the 10:42 time.
It has been adjusted for display in that timezone.

And more, telling the ls command to assume UTC time zone:

> nholtz@photos:176ND850$ TZ=UTC ls --full-time
> total 25152
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 nholtz nholtz 53141230 2022-01-19 15:42:08.910000000 +0000 D85_1332.NEF*
> nholtz@photos:176ND850$

We are back to the 15:42, with UTC offset of 0000, as set by the camera.

time you have set, ignoring timezone.  Then the computer you copy the
file to applies its timezone info when it displays the times. So if
your time is set 'correctly' in the camera (ignoring timezone), the
timezone must be incorrect on the computer.