*Is that just a "plain" run of darktable, which gave the gbd error?*

* You should be able to just start darktable from a terminal emulator like
"Konsole" by typing "darktable" at the prompt. And there's no reason gbd
should be called in that case. Also, is it possible you had done a system
update without immediately rebooting the system, and in that case, did
darktable stop working after a reboot (or restart, logout/login cycle)?
Programs don't just stop working on a system where nothing changed...*

Yes, I just typed 'darktable' at the prompt in konsole.
And as previously stated, I had not updated my system since the last time
darktable had run.
That's what I find confusing.