Question:

When using DateTime for a large number of
instances, it becomes a serious performance
drag.

A typical application for me involves things like
log files: I use DateTime to translate the timestamps
in these files into a canonical format, and then get
information such as "day-of-week" or "time-of-day"
from DateTime.

However, when working through a files with a few
tens of millions of records, DateTime turns into a
REAL drag on performance.

Is this expected behavior? And are there access
patterns that I can use to mitigate this effect?
(I tried to supply a time_zone explicitly, but that
does not seem to improve things significantly.)

Best,

                Ph.