In the spirit of TIMTOWTDI, there's my DateTime::LazyInit module which I wrote
for this sort of case. It only inflates to a full DateTime object when you call
methods that aren't "simple".

http://search.cpan.org/~rickm/DateTime-LazyInit-1.0200/lib/DateTime/LazyInit.pm

Caveat: I haven't tested it against any recent DateTime releases.

Cheers!
Rick Measham
📱