Hi Phillip,

My #1 tip is to pre-prepare/cache the DateTime::TimeZone object and pass it in
to each creation of a DateTime object (via whatever mechanism you're using to
do that). I have seen a case where we were using time_zone => 'local' in a
reasonably tight datetime object creation loop and saw significant speed
increases just by cutting out that chunk of processing.

In hindsight that was a silly thing to do but it became an easy win :-)

I apologise if this is what you meant by supplying a time_zone explicitly in
your comment above.

I can't recommend using a tool like NYTProf highly enough on a run of your tool
to spot the low hanging fruit. See https://metacpan.org/module/Devel::NYTProf

Cheers,

Andrew