> I think this is not so much a DB-WG issue, but a NCC members / board issue.

There are two very separate issues here.

The first issue is whether folks in Kosovo are being adequately served by RIPE,
and it sounds like the answer to that is pretty clearly “no.”  The
implementation details of _how_ RIPE resolves that are separate from _whether_
it should be solved.

The second issue is whether RIPE should be in the business of overriding the
ICP-1 delegation of the ccTLD namespace to ISO, which in turn delegates it to
the UN Statistics Division.  I think that’s inherently a bad idea, and I
encourage people to consider what their opinion would be if the ITU decided to
override the IANA’s delegation of address space, and give net 10 to the Chinese
government, because they need to allocate it to networks within their borders.
This is a thing which has been proposed, though not lately.  How is this any
different?  Overriding a reservation for shared use made by the authoritative
standards body, in order to privatize a portion of that shared space.  Yes, of
course there should be a country code for Kosovo.  But it should no more be
taken from the reserved space than net 10 should be given away to any single
government.  This is simply not our decision to make.  It’s the UN Statistics
Division’s, unless ISO says otherwise.  Whether they’re fast enough to suit
your needs honestly isn’t their problem.  Exposing something other than a
reserved country-code in RIPE’s user-facing software is a Simple Matter of
Programming, and keeps RIPE from looking like they’re overstepping their
mandate in a particularly clueless way.

                              -Bill