On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 07:48:59 -0400, John Scoles <sco...@pythian.com>
wrote:

> >> So it spells it correctly good thing.
>
> No keep the correct Canadian spelling :) 'iour'

which by accident equals to English-English

> >  ☑  unicode     => Unicode
> >  ☐  DBDs        <= DBD's
> >  ☐  DSNs        <= DSN's
> >  ☑  unlikey     => unlikely
> >  ☑  abreviated  => abbreviated
> >  ☐  NULLs       <= NULL's

The arrows already pointed to what was correct. And the corrections
have already been applied (or reverted).

> are the correct ones.  the 's are for possessive nouns such as
>
> " Merijn's bicycle has a flat tire"
>
> > Thanks for the insightful remarks.
> >
> > Things I also noted:
> >
> >     # 'DEFERABILITY' => (DEFER ABILITY DEFER-ABILITY DESIRABILITY
> > DURABILITY DIVISIBILITY)
> >     # 'deferrability' => (desirability durability divisibility)
> >     # 'DEFERRABILITY' => (DESIRABILITY DURABILITY DIVISIBILITY)
>
> The correct spelling is
>
> DEFERRABILITY though strictly speaking it is not an English word that
> should be used in a sentence. It is one of those messy ones where you
> have taken a verb 'defer' added 'able' to it (doubled the 'r' to keep
> the 'e' short) to get deferrable and then added 'ity' to turn it into
> an adjective.

But I'm not going to touch that, as it looks like coming from some sort
of base table from a standard. Martin?

> >  I'm blank on this: one or two 'r's?
> >  My "Collins Cobuild" English Language Dictionary doesn't know the word,
> >  but spells alle deferr... with two 'r's
> >
> >     # 'implementors' => (implementers implements implementer's implement's
> > impalement's implementer)
> >
> >     # 'thru' => (Thur thrum Thu thou)
> >  isn't it "through" in English?
>
> yes it is even in US English  it is through

But Tim already spoke up: he likes thru

> >     # 'piggback' => (piggyback piggybacks piggyback's piggybacked)
> >  piggyback?
>
> piggyback
>
> is slang and is correct with piggyback
> >     # 'scaleable' => (scale able scale-able scalable saleable salable
> > callable)
>
> again scale is a noun so it cannot have 'able' on the end (as that
> should only be user on a verb).

If we/I were to forbid that in the docs, there is a lot to rewrite :)
I tend to start writing "writeable" and then think "that doesn't look
write^Wright, and change it to "writable" and use it. Same for
unwritable (which is signalled as wrong) and other compound words.

> to try and turn it into a verb. One should say 'scales' or 'scale'
> as in
>
> does the web service scale
> it scales correctly
> is the web service able to scale up
>
> > I fixed "a subtile difference" to "a subtle difference". Unless sub-tile
> > has some weird meaning, that looked soooo weird.
>
> subtile is a word but it means a 'tile' under something ;)

I know, that is why it didn't parse very well.

> you are right with 'subtle' meaning small but important
>
> > I have no idea how to change "ommiting" in:
> >   'You can put every SQL-statement you like in simply ommiting
> >    "sql => ...", but the more important thing is to restrict the
> >    connection so that only allowed queries are possible.'
> >
> > This line has two errors:
> >   =item * "accept" tells the dbiproxy-server wether ip-adresse like in
> > "mask" are allowed to connect or not (0/1)
>
> =item * "accept" tells the dbiproxy-server whether ip-addressee like in
> "mask" are allowed to connect or not (0/1)

Still doesn't parse very well, and as I don't know the implications of
this error message, we better might do it right now.

>  is correct
>
> > WTF does 'Pern' mean in:
> >
> >   But you'll note that there is only one call to
> >   DBD::_::db::selectrow_arrayref but another 99 to
> >   DBD::mysql::db::selectrow_arrayref. Currently the first
> >   call Pern't record the true location. That may change.
>
> I think this is a type and should be 'parent' perhaps perhaps more lines
> are missing

Tim thinks "doesn't", which suddenly makes sense

--
H.Merijn Brand  http://tux.nl      Perl Monger  http://amsterdam.pm.org/
using 5.00307 through 5.12 and porting perl5.13.x on HP-UX 10.20, 11.00,