On 28/06/2013 02:34, Paul DuBois wrote:
On Jun 27, 2013, at 8:16 PM, Lyle wrote:
On 27/06/2013 22:22, Tim Bunce wrote:
If you're a DBD::mysql user and care about the future of the code, please help
out.
I felt the same when I came across this during my research. I didn't have a
great deal of luck in my initial efforts to reach out. It seems like
Oracle/MySQL have lost a lot of interested in DBD::mysql (hence my post about
this a couple of months back).
Wait.

That thread was about your belief that Oracle was trying to distance itself
from DBD::mysql or discourage its development.

Maybe I should have worded it better. The post was more to pose a question than state a belief. When I looked at the RT queue I saw the same issues that Tim has brought up now. The POD itself said to use the MySQL bug tracker and not RT, so I submitted my bug to the DBD::mysql section there. Taking into account the response I got to my patch on the MySQL bug tracker, that they removed the DBD::mysql section at the same time, the issues I found myself, the age of the last release, and the RT queue, it didn't paint a picture of "this is a priority" and I was given the impression that Oracle/MySQL had lost interest.

I wouldn't say it's a belief, as that sounds a lot more certain. But it is the impression I get. I'm not suggesting that they want to discourage its development, just that they don't appear to view it as being as important as it once was. That would go some way to explain why it appears to have suffered from some neglect and is in need of some tlc.

Which it is not. It's simply that DBD::mysql is not an Oracle product. Oracle
is not responsible to fix DBD::mysql bugs.

I would assume Oracle has a vested interest in it?

That said, if your next statement is correct, that'd be great.

However, it does appear that some activity has come back. I'm not sure if
anyone looked at my patch, but I have since realised that there was a lot more
amiss. DBD::mysql really needs to be updated for proper MySQL *5* support.

I was talking to Peter about extra hacking sessions at our last Perl meet. I'll
make sure this is on the agenda.
Good, thanks.

Lyle