On Jun 27, 2013, at 8:56 PM, Lyle wrote:

> On 28/06/2013 02:34, Paul DuBois wrote:
>>> I felt the same when I came across this during my research. I didn't have a
>>> great deal of luck in my initial efforts to reach out. It seems like
>>> Oracle/MySQL have lost a lot of interested in DBD::mysql (hence my post
>>> about this a couple of months back).
>> Wait.
>>
>> That thread was about your belief that Oracle was trying to distance itself
>> from DBD::mysql or discourage its development.
>
> Maybe I should have worded it better. The post was more to pose a question
> than state a belief. When I looked at the RT queue I saw the same issues that
> Tim has brought up now. The POD itself said to use the MySQL bug tracker and
> not RT, so I submitted my bug to the DBD::mysql section there. Taking into
> account the response I got to my patch on the MySQL bug tracker, that they
> removed the DBD::mysql section at the same time, the issues I found myself,
> the age of the last release, and the RT queue, it didn't paint a picture of
> "this is a priority" and I was given the impression that Oracle/MySQL had
> lost interest.
>
> I wouldn't say it's a belief, as that sounds a lot more certain. But it is
> the impression I get. I'm not suggesting that they want to discourage its
> development, just that they don't appear to view it as being as important as
> it once was. That would go some way to explain why it appears to have
> suffered from some neglect and is in need of some tlc.

It's not clear to me that *Oracle* has ever had any particular view about
DBD::mysql.

It's not an Oracle product.
It wasn't a Sun product before Oracle bought Sun.
And as far as I am aware, it was not a MySQL AB product before Sun bought MySQL
AB.

It's true that MySQLers contributed some work to DBD::mysql, but as far as
being any official company product ... I have never had that impression.

>> Which it is not. It's simply that DBD::mysql is not an Oracle product.
>> Oracle is not responsible to fix DBD::mysql bugs.
>
> I would assume Oracle has a vested interest in it?

Why? Absent any statement from Oracle, I don't think we can say.