I am sorry that my poor attempt at humor offended you.

In your original message you said "However, as it is at this point,
I continue to receive a bind_param error" (though you didn't include
the actual error message, which can often be helpful). If bind_param
is reporting an error then I'm sure you would read the bind_param
section of the manual.  I can't see any part of the bind_param docs
that would suggest it takes a reference as the second parameter
(though I can see that there might be some confusion with
bind_param_inout, which does).

So I'd be grateful if you could help improve the DBI, and make life
easier for others who may run into the same problem, by explaining
how the answer is not in the manual. Then I can fix it.

Thanks.

Tim.