I posted to the dbmail list last week about this.. just
curious to hear a developer response.

I was wondering where things were on replacing auto
incrementing message id's with a GUID [unique_id].

The response I got on the other dbmail list was that IMAP
requires a sequential message id. Is this RFC or an actual
requirement? I would think that this would be a major
problem for scalability with any email system bound to
this. We certainly don't use sequential ID's in any of our
apps any more for that reason.

Anyway, I have been reading through the archives and found a
thread from a year ago that seems to touch on it.

[Dbmail] MySQL Load Balancing & Failover
http://tinyurl.com/3m6mf

The advantage of course would be non-colliding message
id's in a server cluster with mysql multi-master
replication.

I guess I'm curious how difficult it would be to patch the
system for it. I haven't spent much time with the code,
but couldn't the unique_id be used instead of the existing
ID.

Thanks,

Kevin