Hans Kristian Rosbach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>> If we can find another way to comply with the RFC besides automatic
>> database sequence numbers, we will definitely go for it. Any ideas,
>> however crazy, are welcome... although the really crazy ones will probably
>> just be used to help come up with simple straightforward plans ;-)
>
> Is it such that all messages gets a unique incrementing id system-wide
> or account-wide?

I believe it is on a per-mailbox basis. At this point, we all need to dig
into the RFC, though. Here it is:

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3501.html

> Maybe we could make the imap daemon assign ids to all new messages in
> the database upon request. The only problem with that would be if there
> were two simultanious imap requests to the same account.
>
> That would let the account get incrementing ids starting from 1 on each
> account, not starting on 1 system-wide.
>
> This is the only feasibly way I can think of.

The overhead upon request would be terrible, and we'd still have to figure
out a locking mechanism. It would be easier to figure out locking at
delivery time. But that means a machine unable to communicate with its
peers cannot act as a master. So we'd be up a creek in terms of trying to
create a robust delivery system.

Aaron